Category: Being a Tenant

Private Renters Three Times More Exposed To Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide is a notorious killer. This odourless, colourless and non-irritant gas, exposure to which even at a low level, can cause serious injuries and in more extreme cases – death. It is estimated that one in 10 Scottish adults has suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning in their home and the risk of exposure is …


Electricity a Cause of 69% of All Fires in Scottish Homes

According to Scottish Government statistics, 69% of all accidental fires in Scottish homes, which equates to more than 3400 a year, are caused by electricity. Independent research conducted by Electrical Safety First also indicates that it is private tenants who are more likely to be at risk of electric shock or fire than owner occupiers. …


Taking Steps to Help Ensure the Return of Your Deposit

Tenancy deposit schemes were first introduced in Scotland in July 2012 to give tenants extra protection from rogue landlords and letting agents withholding part or all of deposits when tenants move on. Deposits must be paid into one of the three approved schemes, namely SafeDeposits Scotland, My Deposits Scotland and Letting Protection Service Scotland, for …

1 9 10 11